After serving more than 20 years for the City of Huntington Park and three terms on the City Council, Mario Gomez has termed out of council. Mario served for eight years as a Huntington Park City Planning Commissioner, prior to being elected to the council first in 2003, in 2007, and again in 2011. Mario was selected by his peers to serve as Mayor in March of 2009, December of 2010, and March of 2013. Gomez will be leaving office as a Council Member in March, 2015.
Gomez was born in Maywood, California, but has lived in the City of Huntington Park since 1956. Mario has firm roots in Huntington Park. He attended Middleton Elementary School, Gage Junior High School and graduated from Huntington Park High School. He was a Cub Scout and Boy Scout and has participated in community events since his youth. His parents instilled in him a sense of community service which he has not forgotten.
In addition to his service for the City, Mario has actively served on the Independent Cities Finance Authority board since August, 2008. He was then elected to Vice President in 2009 and has been serving in that capacity since.
“I have had the pleasure of working with Mario since 2008,” commented Debbie Smith, Executive Director, Independent Cities Finance Authority. “Mario’s contributions to ICFA have been immeasurable and he will be missed.”
Mario’s drive to improve his city and community led him to become an active participant in the following:
- Board of Director of Independent Cities Finance Authority Governing Board
- Past Board of Director for SEA Charter Schools, a program that aids youth at risk
- Past Vice President of the Huntington Park Youth Football and Cheer
- Past Youth Football Coach
- Saint Matthias Eucharistic Minister and Lector
- Former Board of Director of Independent Cities Association
- Former Board Member of Independent Cities Risk Management Authority Governing Board
- Former Board Member of HUB Cities Consortium
- Former Board Member of our Business Improvement District
- Former Board Member of the Huntington Park Chamber of Commerce
- Board Member of the L.A. County Children’s Planning Council Service Planning Area 7
Mario Gomez has had a positive impact in the Huntington Park Community and has had very successful terms in City Council. We thank Mario Gomez for dedicating his life to service and for the betterment of his community of Huntington Park. He hopes to continue serving in other capacities and improving the quality of life for all Huntington Park Residents.
Thank you for your service and good luck with your future endeavors!